About Me

My photo

I write about people that are much much smarter than me. See the links on my shiny blog? I wrote those. And some other stuff. Below is the kind of thing you would find about me in the back of a book or anthology.

"Kelly Hale lives in the magical city called Stumptown where the streets are paved with espresso beans and the garbage recycles itself. She is the author of several science fiction-y type stories in scattered anthologies, co-author of a Doctor Who TV tie-in novel Grimm Reality, and also won an award for an early version of Erasing Sherlock – there was a giant novelty check involved.  She is mother of geeks and stand-up comedians. When she isn’t writing she enjoys grinding bones to make artisan breads, creating her own skin care products from locally sourced virgins blood, and knitting with razor wire. She’s been a fan of science fiction and fantasy since age 11. Characters from the original Star Trek represent archetypes in her dreams."

I am a devout secular humanist.




Sunday, August 7, 2016

My Process Sucks. I Want Better Process!

 Next weekend is the Willamette Writer's Conference. The first time I've ever been able to afford to go. I am officially a member, but haven't made it to any talks or anything. Why? Lazy? Introverted? Anxiety medication not working? All of the above. (I actually don't take anxiety medication, so...) I have to get some stuff ready for the conference. I am refusing to pay for pitch sessions. But I won't talk about that here.
I've been writing every single day for the past month and a half. I'm kind of sick of it actually. One story finished that I was a month late getting to the editor. One research paper draft turned in on time. I am very slow at writing these days. My process isn't efficient. I don't know how to make it more efficient.

My writing process has become this - I build the thing in layers. So I'll write like 200 words and then go back and fill in, then move forward a little and go back and fill in. I remember when I used to just write scenes as they came up and then I would go back and link them (or not) but these days I seem to be so linear about it all. Maybe that's because I've been writing papers for school for the past 7 years.

I don't know. I have another story I want to work on and it's really a great idea I think, but all the submission deadlines are coming up soon and I'm pretty sure I won't make it. I'm sort of fried in the brain pan.

My brain is tired and yet -- I guess when you've been doing something daily for nearly 8 hours a day when you're trying to take a break from it, your brain keeps telling you need to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment