About Me

My photo

I write about people that are much much smarter than me. See the links on my shiny blog? I wrote those. And some other stuff. Below is the kind of thing you would find about me in the back of a book or anthology.

"Kelly Hale lives in the magical city called Stumptown where the streets are paved with espresso beans and the garbage recycles itself. She is the author of several science fiction-y type stories in scattered anthologies, co-author of a Doctor Who TV tie-in novel Grimm Reality, and also won an award for an early version of Erasing Sherlock – there was a giant novelty check involved.  She is mother of geeks and stand-up comedians. When she isn’t writing she enjoys grinding bones to make artisan breads, creating her own skin care products from locally sourced virgins blood, and knitting with razor wire. She’s been a fan of science fiction and fantasy since age 11. Characters from the original Star Trek represent archetypes in her dreams."

I am a devout secular humanist.




Sunday, October 5, 2014

Anthology: Two Hundred and Twenty One Baker Streets

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Hundred-Twenty-One-Baker-Streets/dp/1781082227

The editor of this anthology, David Moore, met my friend Deb Stanish at some convention somewhere (where I wasn't at, wah) and talked up my book Erasing Sherlock. This on account of David mentioning an anthology he was planning. He contacted me and I liked the idea of Holmes and Watson being, well ... Holmes and Watson no matter where or when they were plopped down. Having just finished another Holmes and Watson story for another anthology for Obverse books (also due out soon/watch this space!) in which I played fast and loose with the characters, I opted to do something more traditional with this story. To set the pair in another era in which science and reason were fast outpacing superstition in the Western world. Later 17th century England. It's a fun story and was fun to write. But there are many more risky and rewarding takes on the pair in this anthology. Some excellent horror, some fantastic mysteries, magic and mayhem and gender bending hilarity. From the first to the last there is a lot to love in this book. Some reviewers have compared this collection to fanfiction - one favorably and another not so much. I have to wonder if that's the default reaction to a work when many of the contributors happen to be women. It annoys me whether viewed favorably or not. If we apply that reasoning than every pastiche that has been published by big name publishers should qualify. Laurie King write fanfiction (I did argue that once) So does Michael Horowitz

Give your money to a small press.



No comments:

Post a Comment